give up (fraasiverbi)
- luovuttaa, jättää sikseen
- OK, I give up! You won.
- Don't give up until you've reached your goal.
- lopettaa (jokin säännöllinen tekeminen), luopua (jostakin tavasta)
- I gave up smoking two years ago.
- Do you still smoke? Give it up! – Vieläkö poltat? Lopeta!
- I used to smoke. I gave up the habit.
- Finally, I just gave up trying. It seemed I couldn't give up cigarrettes.
- luopua jostakin, luovuttaa jotakin
- I will never give up this house!
- You should never give up hope.
- I gave up the idea of trying to get into medical school.
- That means they would have to give up some of their independence which they will not accept.
- I don't want to give up that much of my time to my job.
- give oneself up – antautua (poliisille tms.)
- He gave himself up after having used up all his bullets.
- luopua toivosta jonkun/jonkin löytymiseksi yms., olettaa kuolleeksi t. kadonneeksi
- The men on the boat had to give their friend up for dead in the stormy sea.
- Oh sh*t, I guess I must give my ring up for lost...
- I guess my cat's done for it. I just have to give her up for dead...or lost. Whatever.